What is TMD?
The temporomandibular joint is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull and allows you to move your jaw for everyday movements like speaking and chewing. When you experience problems in your jaw and the muscles in your face that control it, it’s called temporomandibular disorders (TMD). TMD can create severe pain and discomfort lasting from just a few weeks to many years.
- Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw area, neck, shoulders, and around the ear when you use your jaw
- Difficulty opening your mouth wide
- Locking of your jaw and clicking or popping when you open and close your mouth
- Difficulty chewing or biting and feeling like your teeth aren’t fitting together
- Swelling of the face
- Toothaches, headaches, neck pain, dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Teeth grinding and/or clenching
- Movement of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint
- Arthritis in the joint
TMD and grinding therapy at Sage Dental includes examining and evaluating the joint. We can provide relief from acute pain and education for pain prevention. We also build custom night guards as needed to address grinding. This will prevent further pain from TMD.